Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Covering the coverage? with Ange

10:15 pm
This is what I know so far. Question 1 was NOT passed (holler), question 2 WAS passed (
HOLLER) and question 3 was passed (yay!). Not sure if these are projections or what.

I also know (based on projections) that Obama took Pennsylvania and Ohio which means he basically has this shit on lock.

I'm sitting in my friends' apartment watching the coverage. We are all drinking and hanging. I am SQUEALING inside. AJHGALJHGA. Just had to call my mom.

This is AMAZING. The first prez election I've been able to vote in and it is the most historical election ever!!!

We have been switching back and forth from CNN to MSNBC to FOX News. So CNN is like, "Obama is projected to win here, here and here," and MSNBC is like "BOOO YAHHHH! OBAMA IS TAKIN' IT AND MCCAIN HAS NO CHANCE!" and FOX is like, "Sooo...*looks around* annnywayy..."

Comedy Central is on now. I feel this crazy buzz of excitement and disbelief spreading across the country. I am actually proud to be American in this moment.

11:03 PM

OBAMA IS PROJECTED AS THE WINNER OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

FIRST AFRICAN-AMERICAN PRESIDENT!

THIS IS AMAZING.

PEOPLE ON-CAMPUS ARE SCREAMING, RUNNING AROUND OUTSIDE.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Between 11:05-11:20
A bunch of us head outside armed with cameras and a notepad (I had the notepad). Groups of students were walking around and most of them heading to the Father Dean Dining Commons for Pancakes with the President! You could tell that students just wanted to be outside sharing in the vibe. The campus really did feel alive. We all gave each other high fives. (Rhymes mcgee over here. But seriously, we did.)

11:25 PM
I'm watching CNN. McCain is giving his concession speech. The crowd is pretty disheartened. Sarah Palin looks bummed, or maybe it's just relief? Cindy and Sarah are wearing matching chiffon(?) suits.

I see McCain people hugging, chatting. Me and my roomie (and Buntology photog) are smoking a victory bowl! Sorry but it's true. We are. We must.

"Barack Obama will become the next President of the United States," says this dude on the news.
"People will always remember where they were the moment they first heard..."

11:40 PM
Christina and I are still watching CNN. Obama won by a LANDSLIDE. I feel so weird inside. It's like I'm finally part of something historical and awesome. This is the first time I've ever felt truly connected to America and iiii like it!

12:00 PM
Obama is speaking now. He sounds great, but I can't help being jaded about the fact that this speech was probably written weeks ago. Barack really tugs my heart strings when he says he misses his family tonight.

I'm trying to see through Obama's presidential facade and figure out what he is actually thinking.

His speech was good. I wasn't really moved by it, Christina says she thought it was dope. Obama did seem to get emotional toward the end.

Joe Biden is onstage now, I wonder what he is thinking.

Michelle Obama and the wife of Joe Biden come out. They are pumped. Michelle walks over to Barack and hugs him and she said something to him that I couldn't make out. She seemed like she was consoling him almost. This must be such an intense and emotional time for Obama. Take a nap, baby boo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow ange...great commentary. i feel so happy that we got to share in this historic moment together. love you man. go obama.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD. I feel this overwhelming sense of bliss - and relief. I was busting deadline and working my ass of all night, so I could barely sit back and soak it in. But the second the paper went to press, I sat back for a second and cried. I can't believe we won!

And in Mass., all the good ballot initiatives passed! I feel damn good about being a Massachusetts girl - and an American. Ooooohhhbama!!!

Unknown said...

The good guys win. Nice.

Unknown said...

Good guys win.

Anonymous said...

Michelle Obama said "I love you" to her hubby when she went to him. What a night. Unlike any election I have ever lived through before. Wow! Remember to save something like a newspaper or t-shirt or button for your kids and grandkids. I am so psyched!!!

Anonymous said...

Robert Palmer is better

Buntologically Informed